Tuesday, October 5, 2010

3d engine

The 3d engine is nothing to be proud of, you cannot make any serious projects with it, but at least covers what a 3d engine should be, I write it from scratch, the only stuff that I use from OpenGL/D3D is the draw triangle primitive, everything else is mine (in the DirectDraw version I draw the triangles since DD can only blit surfaces)

The engine has the following concepts:

  • Vectors
  • Matrices
  • Cameras
  • Frustrum culling
  • Ents handling (a 3d entity that can be loaded, moved, scaled, rotated, etc)
  • Metaballs
  • Terrains
  • Skybox
  • Octrees
  • Distorsions
  • Import of ASC, 3DS and DXS (not finished, as many parts..., shame on me)
  • Particles
  • Basic maths
  • Driver agnostic (it should be easy create another driver, is a matter of inheriting from an abstract class)
The next 3d engine will be totally hardware oriented (if I find the time)

No comments:

Post a Comment